Friday, February 06, 2004

It is all About the Game
Leading up to this year’s super bowl there was a lot of hype! Hype about the commercials. Hype about the half time show. Hype about the tribute to the Columbia Disaster. Everything surrounding the game got the hype, but not the game. Instead the game got what I like to call “anti-hype.” Anti-hype about how boring the game was going to be. Anti-hype about how it was going to be a mostly defensive game. Anti-hype about the fact that there were no “super-star” players. It seems like everyone (including the NFL) forgot that the Super Bowl is about a game and not the entertainment surrounding the game.
In my opinion, this was one of the best Super Bowl games I’ve ever seen, second only to the Titan’s loss to the Rams a few years ago. It had suspense. It had some awesome passes and running. The defense not usually the glamorous part of football was incredible. It all came down to the last few plays. It was all about the game.
We are in a game too. In fact, each of us is running a race. Our life of faith is a race. Listen to what Paul has to say...
Acts 20:24
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. (NIV)
Galatians 5:7
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? (NIV)
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (NIV)

Finally listen to what the author of Hebrews has to say...
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV)
Don’t forget that our life of faith is not about the hype! It is about the game. It is about the race. The author of Hebrews warns us to throw off the sin, to forget the hype and run the race. We don’t run this race alone. Jesus ran it before us. We must keep our eyes on the leader and follow Him so we know where we are going and won’t get lost. So we aren’t distracted by the hype or the anti-hype instead we remember it is all about the game.

No comments: