Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Reflections: The Potter at His Work - Jacob and Esau Part Two


Reflections: The Potter at His Work
Jacob and Esau Part Two
Genesis 28.10 - .22

“If God will be with me, an will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God, and this stone which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house; and of all that you give me I will surely give a tenth to you.” - Jacob (Genesis 28.20 - .22)

After stealing the blessing from Esau, Jacob flees to his mothers homeland.  One night on the road Jacob is in need of a place to stay.  So he grabs a rock and curls up for the night.  Unknown to Jacob the place is not safe!  Something wild and wonderful is about to appear and change Jacob forever - The LORD.

In a dream the LORD appears to Jacob.  In this dream the LORD makes a covenant with Jacob.  It is the same covenant the LORD made with his father and grandfather but now it is with him.  In this covenant the LORD promises to give Jacob the land he is sleeping on and descendant to fill this land.  Then the LORD tells Jacob he and his descendants will be a blessing to all the families of the earth.  Finally the LORD makes two last promises to be with Jacob where ever he goes and the Jacob will return home.

Jacob is stunned to discover that the LORD was in that place and that the LORD would make such promises to him.  Jacob makes a vow that if the LORD lives up to this promise Jacob will make the LORD his God.  As we saw last week Jacob’s life is messed up.  He has tricked and stolen from his family but the LORD is working on him and through him to bring about something wonderful.

No comments: